2088 Highway 70, Mora, MN 55051 / 320-679-2015 / email@example.com
“The Lord has done great things for us, whereof, we are glad.” - Psalm 126:3
The original Lutheran congregation was established in 1885 as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Brunswick. The first business minutes were dated November 22, 1885. The Augustana Synod’s Constitution of 1887 was adopted by the newly formed congregation item by item. In that 1885 early meeting it was decided that two board members must be present to have a quorum at a council meeting. The trustees were allowed to spend $25 a year for church repairs, etc. Also, all early church records were written in Swedish.
Pastor Leaf, the first pastor as to preach every fourth Sunday, alternating between morning and afternoon services for a salary of $40 a year. Services were held in P. E. Sellstedt’s home. Membership dues were raised from $1.50 to $1.70 per year. It was decided to build a 28 x 36 church. At the 1898 annual meeting the membership voted to add a 52-foot tower to the church, which was to be completed by November.
The first parsonage was built in 1913. Immanuel was united with Mora until 1916 when it was united with Grasston Lutheran.
In 1920 the new brick church was built, 34 x 66 feet and the cost was approximately $20,000. The basement was used until the first service was held in the main church May 29, 1921. The original floor timbers from the first wooden structure can still be seen in the basement ceiling of Immanuel’s present location.
At the annual congregational meeting January 14, 1941, Immanuel’s name was changed from Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church to Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church.
In 1950 the entire sanctuary was remodeled and repainted and new outside steps were built. In 1957 the church had its first indoor plumbing installed and new stainless steel sinks were added to the kitchen.
In 1977 Brunswick Immanuel and Grasston Hope Lutheran ended their 61 years of being a two-point parish. Each became independent congregations.
In 1979 Daniel Holmberg donated a gift of land to Immanuel, and it was voted at a special congregational meeting to build a new parsonage on the land. In 1981 Immanuel had its first Lord’s portion auction to help retire the debt on the new parsonage.
On March 29, 1992, a special congregational meeting was held to discuss plans for a new church or additions to the present structure or moving the church to a new location and adding rooms the new location. Immanuel members decided to purchase 65 acres west of the church, and because of the purchase, the decision was made to move the church, add to the building, and make it handicapped accessible. A building fund had been started and after much discussion and decisions, the final plan that was accepted by the congregation was to move the church to its present location and add the needed space.
As the building project started in March 1999, our temporary church home was the Brunswick Town Hall.
After all the work was completed, the building committee met for the last time on May 4, 2000. Members of the committee were: Dick Nord (chair), Joe Oslund, Kevin Peterson, Bruce Nehring, Carol Fealy, Russ Bergren, blueprints: Chad Barnick. Many Immanuel members donated their talents to painting, finishing trim work, building interior and exterior, the parking lot, and many other projects.
“The Journey Continues” as Immanuel continues as a vital part of the Mora/Brunswick area. From 1885 to the present Immanuel has been a hard-working, dedicated group of worshippers. All are welcome to our Immanuel ELCA church, which encompasses many active progressive programs, and there is a spiritual home for everyone who comes through the doors.
Pastor at Immanuel Lutheran since July 2016. Pastor Sierra is a Washington native, having grown up in East Wenatchee - central Washington, in the eastern foothills of the Cascade Mountains on the Columbia River. She graduated from Whitworth University in Spokane, WA, where she double majored in Psychology and Theology. She then made the jump from the Pacific Northwest to the Eastern Seaboard to attend Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, NJ, where she received her Master of Divinity. From west coast to east coast, she finally landed in the middle and is delighted to be serving as Pastor in Brunswick, MN. Pastor Sierra enjoys spending time with friends, reading and smart/witty TV. On a beautiful day, you are likely to find her outside tossing a frisbee or playing fetch with Ralphie the doodle dog.
Favorite Scripture - Romans 8.38-39: For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Gladys has been a member of Immanuel since 1971. She has been a resident of the Brunswick area all her life and even attended the Immanuel Lutheran Vacation Bible School during the 1950's, held at the Brunswick school. She has served on many committees in the church, taught Sunday school for several years and is the Cemetery Secretary/Treasurer. Gladys has been the Office Manager at Immanuel for twelve plus years. She enjoys working with all members of the church, especially the youth who are so excited to learn more about God's love for them. It is a blessing to be part of Immanuel's church family and our "Beacon of Light" ministry in the community. In her spare time, Gladys enjoys quilting, scrapbooking, genealogy and travel. She lives on a farm with her husband, Jim, where together they host an annual "Heritage Days" threshing show.
Favorite Scripture - Psalm 118:24: This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Profile coming soon!